Now that it's November, it's time to dive in to the Fall flavors we all love--one of my favorites is maple! This salad combines protein-packed cannellini beans, butternut squash, baby broccoli, and a touch of maple syrup. It was recently published on Allrecipes.com.
Serve this on your Thanksgiving table for a side they'll remember!
- Heat cannellini beans on low heat in a saucepan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in red onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup; reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, about 15 minutes more. Remove from skillet and add to beans.
- Heat 1 more tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add butternut squash; cook and stir until tender, about 8 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup; cook and stir to coat, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and add squash to bean mixture.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add baby broccoli; cook and stir until tender and bright green, about 7 minutes. Add broccoli to bean mixture.
- Pour chicken stock into bean mixture, increase heat to medium-low, and stir remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup and thyme to the mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until heated through, stirring gently to combine. Top with crumbled bacon before serving.