Tuesday, September 4, 2012

School's Back in Session!

We had a super-busy Summer and as usual, the poor blog was neglected.  But with school back in, I'll have more opportunities to work on finding neat things to share with you. 
This is a transition year for me because my oldest started 5th Grade, and my youngest has entered preschool for the first time.  I have to admit I was a bit emotional watching her walk our the door with her enormous backpack and lunchbox (Dad agreed to take her since it was her first day).  She was SO excited about "learninganmeetingnewfriendsanddoingcrafts" and I was excited for her. 

Since I now pack lunch for both of my girls, the challenge is to find things they both enjoy without having to come up with two completely different lunches every day.  Not only can that get expensive, but it can become tedious very quickly.  My oldest is a fantastic eater, my tiny girl is extremely picky.  You can guess where the challenge comes from! I refuse to pack junk food though--no Doritos or Little Debbies here.

I found a recipe for veggie muffins awhile back, and it's perfect for both of my girls.  They contain carrots, zucchini, and I add spinach to boost the vitamins.  The girls love them, and I can include them with their normal entree and vegetable, and they think they're getting a treat!  Make them for your kids (or picky spouse!) by using this recipe:  Zucchini Yogurt Multigrain Muffins


Normally, my husband or I will write a small note or picture on our oldest girl's napkin before putting it in her lunchbox, but I found these cards recently that are wonderful for school-age kids.  The front has an affirmation, and the back has a fact or joke.  You can order your own here:  http://www.sayplease.com/

I've always enjoyed packing lunches, and I'll share some more ideas throughout the school year.  I like to think of it as my way of letting both of my girls know that Mama is thinking of them while they're away ♥ .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...