Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Munchies for Memorial Day


I know I've posted a lot about food and recipes, but we all have to eat, right?  One of my favorite simple sandwiches when Spring & Summer fruit is in season is a peanut butter and fresh berry.  My oldest daughter and I love these!  My 2 year old--I'm lucky to get her to eat much, although she will eat "shasbe-yees!" happily.  If you're looking for a colorful Memorial Day treat for the kiddos, consider this.  While you're explaining the importance of the day, you can mention that the red and blue berries mimic the colors of the American flag.  Patriotic food is good food!
It's so easy--take whole wheat bread, slather on your favorite peanut butter like the dark chocolate version above, place sliced strawberries and blueberries in the middle and voila!  It has less sugar than a regular PB&J and you could reduce it further by grinding your own peanuts into butter--but who has time for that?

These are great for breakfast, lunch, or cut into snack portions.  Enjoy, and happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...