Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Healthier Spin on Super Bowl Snacks



Ahhhh the Super Bowl.  When two football teams battle to be crowned the champion while those who care nothing about football watch to be entertained by the commercials.  I have to admit, I LOVE football--once I learned the game and wasn't so clueless about what was happening it took the game to a different level for me.  My favorite team didn't make it this year (Go Panthers--in 2013!), so I'm not really pulling for either team, but one thing I am looking forward to is:  The snacks.
Here are a few out of the ordinary snacks for you to consider serving to your fellow football fans that won't make anyone feel weighed down afterwards:


Jalapeno Popper Spread--using reduced fat cream cheese works very well in this recipe: 
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jalapeno-popper-spread/detail.aspx
Grilled Jalapeno Popper Spread
Photo by Allrecipes Member Betsy Lyons
(all other photos are mine)


Farmer's Market Vegetarian Quesadillas--this is a recipe I created and it's incredibly versatile.  You can add anything you like to them--black beans are very good in these: 

Quesadillas can be healthy

Rosemary Ranch Chicken Kabobs--I normally cook these on my grill pan, but it's been so hot in NC it would be easy to fire up the grill this weekend:


Rosemary Ranch Chicken Kabobs
Grill indoors or out


Broccoli Bites--don't be afraid of the broccoli!  Even picky, self-proclaimed broccoli haters could like these:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Little-Broccoli-Bites/Detail.aspx

Eat your vegetables!


I admit, some of these recipes are not conventional Super Bowl fare, but there are options beyond pizza, burgers, and fries.  These appetizers actually make a well-balanced meal, and you won't feel bad after eating them, especially if you're team *cough* LOSES.  At least you can feel like a winner with the snacks you serve at your party.  (Too cheesy?  I agree.  I have to think of some better lines.......)


Coming up next week--my favorite chili recipe!  You'll be surprised at how easy and healthy it is.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...