Monday, January 30, 2012

Let's Talk Laundry


Getty Images

Laundry might be the chore that's most despised by everyone.  It is never completely finished, it keeps coming back as mountains, and it's a completely endless cycle with no finish line.  Sign me up!

There are some ways to make laundry less of a chore and you don't have to have a 1200 square foot laundry room to enjoy it just a little.  My favorite tip is to use a pretty jar to store your detergent.  I used to just set the box of Gain, Tide or whatever other brand you like on top of the dryer--very utilitarian, easy access, served its purpose.(I'd love to know how these detergents got their names.  I don't feel like I'm 'Gaining' anything and I'm definitely not feeling particularly beachy like Tide & Surf suggest when I'm sorting dirty socks.  Don't get me started on 'Cheer'.)  But when you store it in a jar like this one it helps your laundry area seem more organized, even.............chic.  Getting the detergent out of the box is an easy way to add a cleaner look to your laundry room. 

Here is my detergent jar, and you can find one at any store that sells home goods.  Be sure to get one with a metal lid, they aren't as fragile as glass and will last a long time.

Not the best photo ever taken, but you get the idea
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10029994&N=&Ntt=glass+canister

Let's discuss sorting.  Currently we use a catch-all single hamper but I'm looking to replace it with something like this very soon:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10000486&N=&Ntt=laundry+sorter

The compartments would make sorting so much easier!  I have about 7 consistent load types I sort our laundry into:  Whites, Dark Knits, Lighter Knits, Towels, Delicates, Jeans, & Socks.  I'm a fiend when it comes to washing knits--I turn knit tops inside out to wash them to prevent pilling and help the fabric last longer, and jeans get the inside out treatment also to help prolong the color.  Socks can't be washed with anything else.  As soon as tops are dry, they need to come out of the dryer and be hung up to prevent wrinkling.  All of these sound good in my head, but when it comes to putting them into practice it can be quite a challenge--because laundry. is. not. fun.  At least when the kids get old enough, they can help sort, fold, hang, and put away (free labor builds character!).

I can also envision a row of hampers stored under a table, hidden by a curtain--similar to this.  No one wants to see dirty laundry--or hear about it for that matter.
 
http://www.countryhome.com/images/img_softerlaundrylg_3.jpg
Lastly, I'd like to share my secret weapon for removing stains from almost every fabric.  It's carpet cleaner (works great on that too!) but I've used it on all types of non-delicate clothing to remove everything from baby food stains to dirt and it works beautifully:

Woolite Oxy Deep Stain Remover

It also took cranberry juice out of my sofa cushion--the key is to treat the spot as soon as possible. 

I guess I shouldn't complain about laundry, and we've come so far from these days.  Although I bet it would help tone my biceps if I had to use a washboard & tub ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...